Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fruit and Oatmeal Muffins

I've been on a big oatmeal kick lately, so these muffins were right up my alley.  They're very versatile, too.  So far I've made them with wild blueberries and raspberries.  The raspberry were good, but I loved the wild blueberry muffins.  Wild blueberries are so much better than regular blueberries - if you've never tried them, they're worth the extra money (psst . . . TJ's has dried and frozen ones right now.  Both are yummy).   Next time, I'll make strawberry.

Ingredients (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens):
  • 3 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 c. rolled oats
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/4 So Delicious Coconut Milk (vanilla or unsweetened, I've used both)
  • 1c. packed brown sugar
  • 1/2  c. oil (I've used canola and coconut oils.  I really prefer the coconut oil; I think the muffins came out more moist)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 12oz package frozen berries (or fresh when they're in season)
To make:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • In one bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
  • In a second bowl, mix eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, and oil (if using coconut, melt first)
  • Stir wet mix into dry ingredients being careful not to overmix
  • Fold berries into batter
  • Spoon into greased muffin tins
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes for regular sized muffins, 15-20 minutes for mini muffins, or until toothpick comes out clean
  • Cool in tins on wire rack for 5 minutes, then carefully remove from tins
The above measurements yielded 24 mini muffins and 12 regular sized muffins for me. 

The raspberry oatmeal muffins
 These muffins also freeze really well.  Just wrap in foil and put in a ziplock bag.  You can thaw them in the microwave or just let them hang out on the counter for an hour or so.  Once thawed, just warm them up to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment