Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cherry Rice Pilaf

Here's the rice pilaf recipe I promised you the other day.  I know y'all couldn't even sleep in anticipation.  Well, I promise, you will not be disappointed if you make this.  It is sooooo good.

Ingredients (adapted from my I Love Trader Joe's cookbook):
  • 3 c. cooked rice (I used brown, gave it a nice crunch)
  • 2 tbsp. Earth Balance butter
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 c. diced celery
  • 1/2 c. dried montmorency tart cherries
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • Salt & pepper
To make:
  • Melt butter in large skillet
  • Saute onion, celery, cherries, and thyme until softened
  • Stir in cooked rice
  • Season with salt & pepper

Super easy and super tasty.  I doubled the recipe for the six adults and 2 kids and we had plenty left over (the leftovers were really good, too).  The original recipe called for 1/2 c. chopped walnuts, but I left those out.  I didn't really miss them, either.  The brown rice added a nice texture that you just don't get with white rice.  And the cherries . . . oh, the cherries. They really plump up and become soft.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment