Sunday, July 10, 2011

Yummy (and Easy) Pizza Sauce

We interrupt the regularly scheduled programming for a special recipe (I promise I have one more cherry recipe to share).

I have had a hard time finding a pizza sauce I like.  I used to like the Whole Foods stuff but lately it's been a bit bland.  I've tried the TJ's sauce in the cold case but found it lacking, and I decided to pass on the TJ's jarred sauce because of some unsavory additives.

Then today I had an idea!  I love TJ's bruschetta - it's the best I've found next to homemade.  So I grabbed a jar and decided to throw it in the blender (the bruschetta, not the jar) with some tomato paste I had leftover from a curry debacle earlier in the week (don't ask - let's just say it was edible but nowhere near as good as my sister-in-law's).  Yes, it's kinda cheating.  I could have done it from scratch.  But this was a lot quicker and easier, with no guesswork on spices.  Unfortunately I didn't measure anything, so the following are estimates.

Ingredients:
  • Approximately 6 oz bruschetta
  • 1-2 tbsp. tomato paste
  • Splash of olive oil
Toss it all in the blender or a food processor and give it a whirl.  Adjust tomato paste and olive oil as needed.

It is so good!  And it's nice to have a starting place for homemade sauce.  When I have the chance, I'll try using my bruschetta recipe instead of cheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment