Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pork Chops with Cherry Sauce

After a few days of chowing on fresh cherries, I decided I needed to incorporate them into a dinner somehow.  Cherries pair well with pork, so I went in search of a cherry sauce for some nice center cut pork chops I bought from Whole Foods.  I found a simple recipe but I didn't have any port (and I didn't feel like going out to find some), so I subbed pomegranate juice instead.

Cherry Sauce:
  • 1 c. sweet cherries, pitted and halved
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 small shallot, minced
  • 1/3 c. pomegranate juice
  • 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • Salt & pepper
To make:
  • Heat oil in small saucepan
  • Saute minced shallot until softened
  • Add cherries, pomegranate juice, and vinegar; cook until cherries soften and juice is reduced by about half
  • Remove from heat, season with salt & pepper, and set aside until pork is finished

For the pork, I bought three center cut pork chops (they were maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound each), rubbed them with salt, pepper, and a bit of thyme, and grilled them.  There was more than enough sauce for the three chops.

The picture isn't the best; something about the combination of shiny sauce, the light, the white plate, and the camera flash just conspired against me.  Oh well, you get the idea.

I enjoyed this.  It was a little sweet and a little tart, and it paired well with my cherry rice pilaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment