Monday, July 4, 2011

Kicking off Cherry Week - Cherry Pudding Cake

Summer is such a busy, fun time of year.  No wonder I haven't found time to update the blog!  One of our many fun activities this summer was cherry picking.  This was the first time for John and the kids, and my first time in many years.  We went with some friends and had a blast, even though the orchard was 1.5 hours from home.  We picked about 5.5 pounds and Samantha ate about a half-pound on the way home! 

The next day, I made muffins with cherries for breakfast and then made a cherry pudding cake.  I admit, I was skeptical when I first read the recipe, mainly because I could not imagine what would happen when I poured boiling water over it before putting it in the oven.  It sounds weird and looks weird, but trust me, it turns out great. 

Ingredients (slightly adapted from here):
  • 2 c. sweet cherries, pitted
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 ½ c. sugar
  • ½ c. So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk
  • 3 tbsp. Earth Balance butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 1 c. boiling water
To make:
  • Preheat oven to 350°F
  • Place fruit in the bottom of a buttered 8x8 glass baking dish
  • Combine 1 c. flour, baking powder, salt, and 3/4 c. sugar in a mixing bowl
  • Add milk, butter, and vanilla
  • Beat until smooth
  • Spread batter over fruit
  • Combine remaining sugar and 2 tbsp. flour and sprinkle over batter
  • Pour boiling water over mixture 
  • Bake 40-45 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted in center
It looks strange going into the oven but this is what it looks like when it comes out:


And it is soooooo good.


I think I'm going to try it with peaches next.  

No comments:

Post a Comment